How to install EHCP on Ubuntu 16.04 is not a simple task to do. Hence we will elaborate the whole process step by step in the following tutorial.
I. Easy Hosting Control Panel
Easy Hosting Control Panel (EHCP) is a free and open source control panel which was made in PHP, anybody can use this to host websites on their VPS (Virtual Private Server).
EHCP gives you a simplistic and easy to use an interface if you ever wish to create and manage users, websites, MySQL, databases, DNS management, ftp and email accounts, and more.
II. How to install EHCP on Ubuntu 16.04
In this tutorial, we will teach you how to install the Easy Hosting Control Panel on Ubuntu 16.04.
Step 1: Downloading EHCP
You can download the latest EHCP version from the official website by using the command below.
wget -O ehcp.tgz www.ehcp.net/ehcp_1804.tgz
[junkie-alert style=”red”] ERROR:
To connect to www.ehcp.net insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'
You can try:
wget -O ehcp.tgz www.ehcp.net/ehcp_1804.tgz --no-check-certificate
Next, you will need to extract the archive by running this command.
tar -zxvf ehcp.tgz
Step 2: Installing EHCP
You may now enter the ‘ehcp’ directory with the below.
Now execute the installation script so that the EHCP installation starts.
The installation script should install every package required, including the services.
We will guide through every step needed and ensure that the installation was completed correctly.
While the installation process is going on, make sure that you read and follow every instruction carefully.
Begin by pressing ‘Enter’ to proceed.
Like it says, you need to press ‘Enter’ again to continue.
Note that ‘ehcp’ can only be installed automatically on Debian based Linux OS’es or Linux’es with apt-get enabled (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, debian and so on). Do not try to install ‘ehcp’ with this installer on redhat, centos and non-debian Linux’s.
Outline of the install process:
- Update apt-get repo info (apt-get update)
- Install Php (That will run Main installer)
- Run Main installer (Run install_1.php and install_2.php to install other server related software, such as mysql/mariadb, apache, nginx, etc.)
Press ‘Enter’ to continue.
The main installer is going to show you what EHCP version you are currently installing. Simply press ‘Enter’ once again to continue.
You should be prompted to either enter a new or leave the password for the MySQL “root” user unchanged.
You are going to be prompted to put in your name, email address and set up the MySQL and admin user password for the “ehcp”account. Make sure to replace STRONGPASSWORD with a really strong password of your own.
Now, you will be prompted for your Hostname, IP Address and preferred language. You could simply leave them all on default settings by pressing Enter on every question:
Enter your hostname, IP address, preferred language etc. If you want to leave defaults, just press Enter. In my case, I go with defaults.
Your hostname seems to be a host, if it is different, enter it now, leave blank if correct
Hostname is set as host
Your IP seems to be 111.222.333.444, if it is different or you want to use a different (external) IP, enter it now, leave blank if correct
EHCP currently supports English,Turkish,German,Spanish,French (some of these partial) except installation
enter language file you want to use (en/tr/German/Spanish/nl/fr/lv/pt_br [default en]):
- Do you want to install some additional programs which are not essential but useful for a hosting environment, such as ffmpeg,… etc.. ? Answer no if you have small ram or you need a light/fast system (y/[n]
- At a point in the installation, you will be prompted to configure the ‘roundcube’ database. Choose ‘Yes’ and then put in a password for the ‘roundcube’ database user.
- The database for ‘phpmyadmin’ has to be configured. Once asked about it, choose ‘Yes’ and then enter a password for the ‘phpmyadmin’ database user.
Once you have entered the password, you should be prompted to select which web server you want configured with phpMyAdmin.
As we have an Apache web server on our VPS, we selected the ‘apache2’ option; note that you could press SPACE on your keyboard to select what server you want, then press on ‘OK’.
Now, you have to choose the mail server configuration type based on your needs. In this case, we go with the default one ‘Internet Site’ option. |You will also have to enter the mail name of the server. This name has to be a fully qualified domain name (FQDN).
- Finally, you will be prompted to create directories for web-based administration. Choose ‘Yes’ to proceed.
- In this last step, the installation is going to be finished and the output below will be shown to you.
ehcp run/restart complete..
If your server is behind a router/modem in your network, you will need to Open/redirect necessary ports on your modem/router.
The ports below need to be opened/redirected.
Step 3: Access the EHCP dashboard
Once the installation is done, you may access the control panel from your browser by using ‘http://your-ip-address‘
III. Final Thoughts
- You can click the link which says ‘Click here for the control panel on your server!’ This wil take you to the EHCP login screen.
- You may log in with ‘admin’ as username and the password you chose during the installation. If you did not set any password, you will have to use the default one ‘1234’.
- This is all done now. EasyHosting Control Panel has been successfully installed on your Ubuntu 16.04 server.
One more thing..
Share this tutorial with your hosting managers and networking experts friends, as it will help them and make my countless hours of work count.